CoolSlang Logo


Couch, sofa. Named after Lord Chesterfield, supposedly the first to saw off the arms off armchairs of three chairs and put them together, and wa-la, a chesterfield

Country Code:CA
Submitted July 3rd, 2007 by:

Usage Examples

I believe in peackeeping not policing. Diversity not assimilation and that the beaver is a truley proud and noble animal. A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch. And it is pronounced "zed", not "zee".
From the Song I Am Canadian by Molson  
If I had a million, I'd buy you furniture for your house, maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman. If I had a million, I'd buy you a K-car, a nice Reliant automobile. If I had a million, I'd buy you love.
From the Song If I Had a Million Dollars by Barenaked Ladies  


Only old people use this term. Comment by: Jarrod   
definitely not true Comment by: james   
I used this when i was a kid! lol which wasnt tht long ago... Comment by: emmamarie   
Never heard of it before. Comment by: Bob Joe    Rated:1/5
An old brand of cigarrets in grandfather smoked...first brand i smoked after stealing one at age 8 Comment by: bob martin   
I grew up using "Chesterfield"....possible validation of the "old people" comment. I miss it as it distinguishes Canadians. "Sofa" is unacceptable! Seems "couch" is what we've adapted to. Comment by: Jo-Ann   
My Grandmother used this term as well for the sofa and we live in the US. She was married alot of times though, maybe one of her husbands was from up North! Comment by: Toner   
I dont really hear sofa very much, i think that's mainly american. The way i've heard chesterfield used is to describe the fancier couch in the living room as opposed to the couch in the family room or den. This is how its used with most people that i know Comment by: rebecca   
Uh, not uncommon at all. Not exclusively Canadian at all, though not very common in the US. Originally British Comment by: Todd    Rated:4/5
Wow! I use this term all the time. Comment by: Alex   
In the original Eaton's catalog (remember them?) back in the 1800's Chesterfield was the brand name for a fancy large couch for the parlour. This was a must-have for the well-placed in the community. It was usually a four-seater as opposed to the smaller couches and sofas. Comment by: Whitbydave   
Wow I asked my colleague (from Scotland) if he'd heard of it before because I was trying to figure out if it was only in Canada. He said I was a crazy moose eater. I'm happy to see it on here! Comment by: Luc    Rated:5/5
I think that Chesterfield was a company that made sofas, and like "Fridgidaire" (which became fridge) the name took over. Comment by: Lorrie   
My mom always uses this word when she is talking about the couch. I used it too when I was young, but now I think it sounds kind of silly. Comment by: Travis   
i literally just found out about this term from King of the Hill.... last week some canadians came to the us and referred to the sofa as a chesterfield, i had to google it! Comment by: jay, from ny   
I agree, an older Britishism that is dying out except in parts of British Columbia where British tradition remains strong. Comment by: Tom    Rated:3/5
i've never actually heard this, but i've heard that some older people in the States will refer to a couch/ sofa as a "Davenport". also couch & sofa are both common here. Comment by: Midwest American   
This phrase was used in a the Barenaked Ladies - a rock band from Canada - song, "If I Had a Million Dollars". They said, "I'd buy you furniture for your house, maybe a nice Chesterfield or an Ottoman." Comment by: Dexter    Rated:3/5
Only my grandma says this -_- Comment by: Britney   
I was born in the 70's, and this word for a sofa was used all the time here in Ontario and through the East Coast. When I got to high school, we had a teacher named Mr. C. Field. When we learned that the c stood for Chester, everyone thought it was hilarious, for what parent names their child after a sofa!! Now I never use the word chesterfield, for it seems rather dated, something I associate with my parents. Comment by: Tammy   
Davenport - now there's a name for couch. Comment by: Yank   
Chesterfield actually relates to the furniture maker from England Comment by: Simone   
my parents say chestefield, but everyone i knoww (canadians) say couch. americans think the way i say couch is different, they think im a newf. Comment by: becki    Rated:2/5
In my neck of the canadian woods, the Chesterfield is the longest (eg. three-seater) piece of furniture in a typical set of chair, loveseat, and chesterfield. Comment by: Jaynie   
This is a British term, not really Canadian... and I hardly ever hear it, although everyone knows what it is. Comment by: Tosh   
i've heard this before, i've used it under the impression of my old lady's voice.. had American's wonder what the hell was wrong with me, eh Comment by: t   
I thought they called it a 'sofa' and a 'chersterfield' in America. We just call it a couch here. Comment by: Katy   
Chesterfield is a type of couch. Comment by: Jiorgia    Rated:3/5
Chesterfield is to Canada what davenport is to the US. Both mean couch, and neither are used by most people born after 1920. Comment by: Dogbrain   
Grew up in Alberta and I recall when I was a kid..early 60's...hearing chesterfield but couch is what's used pretty much everywhere now. Comment by: Kelly   
I'm not old and I use the term 'chesterfield.' It is one of those words that originally came from Britain, but went out of use there and is somehow preserved here, like an insect in amber. We also celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday. lol Comment by: Brad   
chesterfield was one of the main furniture company's during early canadian settlement. the term was a reference to the company, because for many generations anyone who had a couch that wasn't brought over from the immigrants homeland, it was made by chesterfield. its the same reason everyone calls it, "kleenex", when they are technically disposable facial tissues, but naturally since the kleenex brand was the the first "big brand" of facial tissues, everyone calls them "kleenex". Comment by: matt   
By the way, "wa-la" is not a word (although I hear it all the time on US media so maybe it has become slang?!). The word is "voila", from the French "see there" or "there it is". Comment by: Cee   
This had its origins in the UK, where its still commonly used to mean a couch. May be seen as archaic by some because of Americanization, so everyone using couch all the time. Comment by: Frank    Rated:4/5


27 visitors online © 2004, 2007, 2012 by CoolSlang